[T3] Wanted: Master Cyl wiring harnesses

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 17 13:37:04 PDT 2011

VW introduced an odd master cylinder in '68, to work with the brake
fluid warning light that I think was mandated that year. That MC had
an extra shuttle piston/cylinder under the main cylinder, sort of
like an over/under double barreled shotgun. That design was a big
mistake and VW did away with it starting in '70. The '70-3 design
used two 3-pin brake light switches and some clever wiring to replace
the three 2-pin switches used in '68-9.

The '68-9 MC was quickly NLA, so most of those early brake warning
light cars, have already had their MCs replaced with later versions
by now. To make the conversion complete, those cars need the late
version of the brake light switch wiring harness. I've got a couple
of those, but there's a demand for them and I'd like to be able to
provide them as long as possible.

Therefore, I'm putting out a request for brake light switch wiring
harnesses from '70-73 Type 3s. If you're parting out such a car,
please keep this harness. If you don't want to hang on to it, send it
to me and I'll pay the postage. This harness runs from the master
cylinder up thru a hole next to the LR corner of the gas tank, where
it connects to the main front harness. It's easy to disconnect and
remove, and just a little harder to install.

thanks,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org