[T3] steering column coupling disc

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 03:35:19 PDT 2011

I've got the odd spare one for my cars, but I've not needed to look for
other replacements, so I don't know if there is a source of the proper spec
in the UK or Europe (but see below).

They're not really high tech things - they have a metal bush for the bolts,
and are a simple enough shape (even that's not critical).   I would suggest
if you have to make a replacement, you could perhaps use a piece of
industrial conveyor belt - that's made of layers of rubber and cloth
reinforcement.  We were given a length for putting under a swing in the
garden!  The rest of the roll is probably still good even after years
outside, but I wouldn't make one for someone else.  A piece of truck tyre
wall would maybe be another possibility - they are reinforcing threads in a
rubber compound.  The only question would be whether the flexibility was too
great.  I would certainly trust something like that over a non-reinforced
component.

The idea is to get flexibility - I wouldn't have thought an aluminium one
would provide any of that.

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Steering.htm shows what you need to look for, but I
don't know where you can get them.

The ETKA parts list gives 251 419 417B but I don't know if VW dealers still
stock them.  I suspect that some of this stuff still listed on the parts DVD
may only be available from VW in Germany, and your local dealer might not be
bothered, but 25 would indicate a transporter (Vanagon?) part, so might
still be available.  Looking at ETKA, it shows they use 3 of them on each
vehicle!  You might even get a decent one (or 3) from a scrap one.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club