[T3] Fuel pump

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:07:02 PDT 2011

>> Can I run it forward and back with it still in the car if I disconnect
>> the supply lines coming from the tank and put them in a bucket of
>>diesel?

>That certainly won't hurt anything, but it's only fair to mention
>that I rebuild a LOT of these pumps where people have done this
>flushing out, and still end up sending them to me to be actually
>fixed.

I removed my pump last summer.  Cleaned it all up.  Checked it's operation
and delivery quantity in DIESEL FUEL  (not diesel OIL like someone mentioned
- That may have just been mis-worded).

What Jim A. found , when he re-built my Fuel Pump, was, the small,
spring-loaded "plunger" under the small, crimped-on, silver-colored
"pressure relief cap" (the cap is clearly shown in the Fuel Section 4 -
Bentley book, in Fig. 4-1).  It's the little "hat-like" cap on the far
right) apparently opens when too much fuel pressure develops on the Return
Outlet side of the pump.  (Did I say that correctly, Jim?) and returns
unused/excess fuel into the fuel tank.

But removing the Fuel Pump is an easy job.

Apparently Jim finds that small rubber seal has "welded" itself to the valve
seat, almost always breaks when the "plunger" is removed.  He "machines" a
much more durable seal material. Anyway, that's what Jim found when did the
re-build, on my fuel  pump.  It's a common failure when a fuel pump, sits
idle for a long time.

Anyway, my fuel pump MOTOR was fine.  The pump end needed seals, and such.
I didn't check to see if I have 28 psi at the fuel ring just ahead of the
Fuel Regulator.  (28 to 31 psi on 1970 and later cars)  But that's an easy
check/adjustment when everything is back together, again.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Lake Geneva, WI