[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 23 09:21:34 PDT 2011

On 23 Jul 2011 at 0:24, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> Drained the gasoline, and noticed some flakes.  When looking in the
> tank, there is a few spots of corrosion.  The sock is fine, so do not
> want to put phosphoric acid in the tank.  Figure the sock is not
> broken, so should not mess with it.  Right?

If it's just a little bit of rust, you're okay. If there's a lot,
then you'll eventually want to clean things out.

> For some reason the hoses were quit long and always had to keep an eye
> out that they were not dragging.  This time used only what was needed,
> especially for the filter, as the aforementioned shop stole the holder
> for it.  By keeping the line short it keeps it horizontal.  I looped
> the return line to the tank hoping some of the particles settle in the
> loop and not go into the fuel pump right away.  Now nothing hangs
> below the front beam so as it does not catch on things

Sounds like your hoses were way too long and it was a good thing to
replace them and shorten them up. You also need to keep in mind that
any hose has a miniumum bend radius, so you don't want sharp bends
anywhere.

> I also got the steering box mount tightened up.  The horn wire is
> limiting turning ability, no matter it seems.  Do I need to extend the
> wire?  Or, is there a trick to it?

There should not be a wire that goes from something that rotates to
something that doesn't. There is one wire that jumps across the flex
coupling (rotating to rotating) and another that jumps across the
rubber axle beam mounts, from steering box to beam mounting bolt
(stationary to stationary.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org