[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 12:58:19 PDT 2011

> From: Bobsnotch at aol.com
> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 08:09:36 -0400
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes
>

> In a message dated 7/23/2011 3:24:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> adriel_rowley at hotmail.com writes:
>
> Finally got a chance to pick up a five gallon fuel can in the late
> afternoon: tank was too heavy to safely lift which I learned the hard way.
> Drained the gasoline, and noticed some flakes. When looking in the tank, there
> is a few spots of corrosion. The sock is fine, so do not want to put
> phosphoric acid in the tank. Figure the sock is not broken, so should not mess
> with it. Right? In the end, just left it as I figured the filter get it.
> Been going though them what seems quickly, so now using generic metal can
> filter.
>

> A bad idea. Sue and I learned that the hard way (cost her 55 bucks for tow
> home). If you have rust flakes in the tank, you need the tank cleaned.
> Otherwise the flakes will clog the sock, and stop fuel flow to the pump. Your
> old filters were probably clogged with rust and disintegrating fuel hose.
> Like I said, we found this out the hard way, in that her car quit while
> driving home from work. She called for a tow, they flatbedded the car home,
> and unloaded it. I started the car up, and drove it around the yard, and felt
> it was fine, but decided to take a look inside the tank. Pulled the
> sending unit, and with a flashlight (torch for our UK friends), I could see the
> crap down in the bottom. I pulled the tank, and cleaned it out using the
> method described in the blue Bentley. Put it back in, and it's been fine
> since. Just my 2 cents worth.

I read the Bentley, and do not understand the chemicals they are using.  Can I
safely use one part Phosphoric Acid to 10 parts water and not damage the sock?
Can it be left per the prescribed eight hour time?  What is machine coolant oil:
cutting oil?  What be a good substitute?

My plan is to drive it to the Invasion, making sure it can be a daily driver, then
selling the Mercury for a down payment on a home in Arizona.  So has to be daily
driver before the Invasion, which means no short cuts or making things worse.

Thank you,
Adriel