[T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes))

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:07:23 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:56:20 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes))
>
> On 27 Jul 2011 at 16:02, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > Where in the Bentley does it say the cam peak is not at the number one
> > mark?
>
> The mark you're talking about marks where the #1 SP wire gets
> installed, that's all. That mark will line up with one of the dist
> cap towers, but the rotor will be in different positions at different
> rpms because of the mech advance. The rotor will start on one side of
> the mark and then move to the other side, as the rpms and advance
> come up from idle.
>
> If the rotor started on that mark at idle, at high rpm it would
> probably move too far away from the contact on the underside of the
> cap for the spark to make the jump. Hence the compromise.
>
> Because all 4 cam peaks are the same height, you can set the point
> gap (or dwell) at any of them.

See, this is where I had the misunderstanding.  Because it did not say

what it was not for, I read that it also marked cam center.  I am a

visual person and a perfectionist to a fault, like the fact there is

two marks showing the lobe center.

Tonight, went out and installed the brake light switches.  Three were
made in China, but one was a repackaged Meyhe Germany.  Sadly, RockAuto
cannot specifically supply specific country of origin.  I did not have
a 27mm wrench, and the closes was marked FK-57.  Must be something for
a boat I guess, as the P.O.'s Brother worked on them, and made it for
generator's square nut.  Now think I should find a cheap proper wrench
for the brake light switches, so I can change it easier.  I did put
China made one on the front, as can just barely get a socket on it in
case of an emergancy.

Thank you,
Adriel