[T3] Car Runs Great, but Why?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 2 19:25:14 PST 2011

On 2 Mar 2011 at 13:27, J. Jonik wrote:

> So, what explains this?  Why would sensor plugged in make car perform
> worse?  This must be a clue to something.    I tried two other
> sensors...but they made it a little worse idling and hesitating etc
> than the original one.

I think it's only a clue that your FI system is normally running a
bit lean. Unplugging the sensor richens the mixture a bit and that
makes things better. It doesn't tell you anything about why it was
running lean in the first place.

Seems odd, because my impression was that it was running rich. We
don't really have good data on any of this, however.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org