[T3] Old Type IIIs (Exhaust Tester

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 18:26:58 PST 2011

I didn't think the potentiometer was fitted to Type 3 ECUs, but I've not
seen too many FI Type 3s here anyway.  I've a Type 4 ECU with a
potentiometer - it clicks as you turn it.

BTW, you do indeed adjust the tester to read 2% CO, but our atmosphere
doesn't contain that much.   I think there's a heated wire that changes
resistance as the exhaust gases pass over it, but I don't know why normal
air affects it the same as exhaust with 2% CO.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club