[T3] Low Power

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 14 18:46:41 PDT 2011

On 14 Mar 2011 at 0:00, Robert Rogers wrote:

> I have a ´73 FI Squareback that appears down on power (when compared
> to my ´67 Fastback).  I have done all of the normal tune-up
> adjustments: valves, points, timing, plugs fuel pressure set at 29lbs.
>  It starts and runs well. High and low RPM appear OK. I know that some
> adjustment has been made on the Pressure Sensor.  Could that be the
> pr?blem?

Attempts to "adjust" the pressure sensor are almost always
counterproductive. I can usually set them back to where they are
supposed to be, but my record isn't 100%.

Things I would suggest would be to check the charging system
regulating voltage. It should be 14.1-14.4 V, measured at the battery
at medium rpm after a warmup drive. If it's below 13.5 V, replace the
voltage regulator.

Also, check the distributor mech advance. To do this, grab the rotor
and twist it CW. It should twist smoothly about 15 deg and snap back
quickly under its internal spring force when you release it.

Finally, you may need to watch the fuel pressure while you're
driving. If the filter or screen are clogged, the pressure may be
fine in the driveway, but sag under load.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org