[T3] Intermittent Start - update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 15 17:05:20 PDT 2011

On 15 Mar 2011 at 12:56, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> Hi, My 70 auto fastback starts great now with two batteries and a new
> starter and a new wire between solenoid and shifter. However as you know
> none of that was necessary to replace because the wire under my dash was
> loose and so after fixing that all is ok. Of course I had a question about
> the wiring from battery to regulator - Jim advised that it was unnecessary
> to have both batteries wired to the regulator, but that I should wire both
> Pos battery posts together so that the 2nd battery will get some charge
> during commute.

Any size wire will probably do to keep that battery charged, but the
heavier gauge in that location helps when the starter is drawing
large currents.

> I also was getting a red gen light at low rpms which would flicker out at
> higher rpms. I changed the wiring per above. Now I only have 1 wire from 1
> battery going to alternator, and a 2nd thicker one from Pos post to Pos post
> on the batteries. This one is 10 guage but I'll bet you'll say it should be
> battery wire thick and I agree I will get to that.

Since it now starts just fine (since you found and fixed the real
problem) I'd just leave it alone.

> The red light as of yesterday would only flicker out at 70mph, today it's
> solid red at all times from start to finish. It is probably a loose belt or
> worn brushes but I ordered a rebuilt generator anyway because I only have 2
> hours each sat morning to perform maintenance for the following weeks
> commute, so it seems a better use of my time to replace the generator rather
> than fool around with brushes and then find its a bad winding or bearing
> inside the gen. So my questions:

You could check the brushes, but there's a good chance that you've
got a problem with shorted turns in the generator's field winding. If
the rebuilt generator acts the same, you'll know that it was really a
VR problem all along, but I think that's possible but unlikely.

> 1) How long before my car won't start running with the red light on solid?
> (I am not using any accessories, which is tough in a dark rain storm as
> today)

Maybe 2-3 hours, assuming it was well charged when you started..

> 2) My commute is 20 miles each way (roughly 2 hrs per day)

I'd put it on a slow charger overnight, every night until you can get
it fixed.

> 3) There doesn't seem to be a source for a new stock type 3 gen pulley (gen
> Model 16-x). are bug/bug pulleys compatible or must I go with my old one?

Reuse your old one. If you find a new one somewhere, it will probably
be junk.

> 4) My generator looks ancient, but my regulator was replaced 2 years ago.
> I'm debating whether to get another just in case ...

If the new one is Bosch, it should be okay. If it is one of those in
the painted black housings, who knows....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org