[T3] Fuel Mixture

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 18:27:14 PDT 2011

Well, I wouldn’t trust a sensor that shoved up the tailpipe... is it heated?
Go to the samba and read thru the D jet sticky...  you want to know exactly
how the pressure sensor works and understand it before you try and adjust it
or you will end up messing things up real bad, it’s a pretty complex little
mechanical gizmo but the idea is rather straight forward.

BASICALLY...  (I don’t have time to get into details tonight)
There are 3 adjustments, the inner stop, that you DON’T want to change, this
is the hardest to get right if you do, you want to pull apart the sensor and
epoxy it in place with some of the 5 minute stuff (will still be
removable)so that the inner stop wont move with the main mixture screw.  The
inner stop sets how lean you can go under high vacuum, if its not right you
can cause engine damage.

Main mixture screw, controls mixture over the whole range... is pretty
touchy.

Outer full load stop (that aluminum cap screw) which really isn’t a cap
screw at all but limits motion of the diaphragm and how rich you get at WOT.
This isn’t as touchy, but if its not right you can damage the irreplaceable
diaphragm too as it will try and extend out too far.

Getting the mixture right is critical for long engine life, good gas
mileage, and cool engine temperatures with aircooled engines.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"