[T3] leak

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Mar 19 13:48:06 PDT 2011

On 19 Mar 2011 at 13:07, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> The Baroness has sprung a leak.  I had her parked in the Safeway lot last
> week, and it was raining.  When I got back, there was a big
> puddle in the passenger side floorwell.  I traced the dripping to a hole in
> the underside of the dashboard.  This hole has a rubber ring around it, with
> a beige or dirty white, fairly thick, cable coming out of it.  Lloyd thinks
> the air intake under the windshield wipers above the hood may be clogged or
> rusted thru.  I looked in my books, and I can't find any diagrams or pix of
> this area, or how to get to it.  Do any of you know about this?
>
> thanx,
> Lori & The Baroness, '71 AT Squareback

Lori,

Not sure exactly what you're describing, but this sounds like you've
lost one of your drain hoses. If I'm right, there should be a black
hose attached to that port that feeds down and out another hole
farther down. Indeed, it's the water drain for the airbox louvers.

The "rubber ring around it, with a beige or dirty white, fairly
thick, cable coming out of it" doesn't sound like anything I'm used
to seeing. It may be someone else's "fix."

I'm sending you my faq on cleaning out that system. If your hose is
missing you can try to find one on a '71-3 in the junkyard, or I have
new material I can sell you. (It's all different on earlier cars.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org