[T3] Starter stuff...

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 06:32:42 PDT 2011

I think the brushes are sticking a bit, and tapping it makes them make
better contact with the commutator.  The initial solenoid current flows
through the brushes and the armature as well to inch it round and pre-engage
the gear before the main starter current connections in the solenoid close
and shove 100 amps or more through the starter.  If you don't have a good
enough circuit through the brushes and armature, that pre-engage doesn't
happen and the main contacts never close.  That's when you get a click, not
a whirr!

Since it often happens when an engine has cooled down after a long run, I
suspect a small amount of thermal expansion may leave the brushes hanging
when things have cooled down and shrunk again.  It did seem that if I
re-used the starter briefly after stopping, that I could restart when cold
again without the problem.

Because a starter relay addedto the solenoid circuit does help, it probably
really comes down to voltage drop due to resistances in connections making
things just a bit too marginal.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club