[T3] Starter stuff...

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 23 09:04:59 PDT 2011

> > What, exactly, is being tapped loose to work when one
> taps a non-functioning starter into working again?  (It
> doesn't take much tapping.)

The other possibility is the thrust bearing or whatever works in that fashion. The linear position of the armature is off enough to not allow it to work effectively as it is out of position. Rapping it frees up the sticky off position bearing allowing the armature to be pulled into position and work.

I have a grinder motor on my workbench that does this. Hit the power and nothing. Nudge the shaft to align it and it works great. I don't use it enough to replace it, it works well enough.

Jeff '67 Sqbk