[T3] bucking / hesitation

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Wed Mar 23 14:37:51 PDT 2011

This happened to me just this past weekend.  Come to think of it, it happened to me about a year ago.  Both times I pumped gas from the same pump at the same service station.

Waitaminute - there's no such thing as a "service station" any more.  It's a Quickie-Mart that sells Shell gasoline.

I complained about it when it happened to me last year, so I thought that perhaps there would be some resolution.  Besides, I've bought gas from there in the intervening time (from a different pump).  I suspect the tank that the pump pulls from has a leak - not a good thing, because if water leaks in, gas probably leaks out.

Anyhow, it lasted for about 20 miles - missing badly, poor power, sometimes dying at idle.  I'm guessing that water collects at the tank outlet and gets used up fairly quickly (within the first gallon of fuel or so, depending on the volume of water introduced to the tank).

It's running just fine now.  I've got about 60 miles on the odometer.

Incidentally, I got almost 300 miles on the last tank of gas.  I always put in 10 gallons and calculate my milage from that.  30 MPG (mostly highway) - I typically get 25 MPG otherwise.

I find it difficult to believe claims of 40 MPG, especially when those claims are made by someone whose odometer doesn't work.

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN