[T3] Chronic Nostart Update and Questions

Chris Sheridan csheridan at virtual-consulting.net
Wed Mar 9 13:09:10 PST 2011

Hi All,
You may remember my drama of a chronic intermittent no start condition. I
put in a new starter, two new batteries and replaced the wiring for both
batteries and lines to the regulator. I also replaced the B+ wire from the
starter to the Neutral Shift positioning switch on the shifter.

Still had the same problem. Then I realized that my knee was hitting the
shift to ignition switch B+ wire and causing a bad connection. A piece of
tape fixed it. But...when I was under there I found my fuel line seriously
frayed even though it was only a couple years old it rubs against the
shrouding...so I bought some hose and will take care of that.

Questions:
I installed my two batteries because they are non-returnable. I am not using
an isolator, just replicating the wiring for 1 battery.
1) Is there any point to doing this? Isn't the whole reason for two
batteries to have reserver power by flicking a switch between the two?

2) the 2nd battery - I jury-rigged a line from the pos strap to the voltage
regulator, except that there is no additional spade to connect 2 wires to
the regulator. I had to use a smaller guage (14?) wire for the 2nd batteries
connection to the regulator. I will try to obtain a piggyback connector in
that size.

3) I am getting a glowing red generator light. It is directly related to
RPMs - it goes out when I'm at highway speed but flickers back on when I
slow down or idle.

While I'm a fan of throwing money and new parts at my daily driver to avoid
renting cars while its down, it would be nice to know where to start with
the glowing generator light. It appears that would be Fan Belt, Brushes,
then Generator - in that order. However I would really like to rule out
whether my smaller guage wire between the 2nd battery and the regulator
could be causing my glowing red light...

-Chris
1970 fastback