[T3] relays and delays...

Frank Meek ftalker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:59:24 PST 2011

Hi there
"weight distribution" was only one of the reasons for forward battery
placement, (Porsche was incredibly "systemic" in their designs), in addition
to cutting in half the route from battery to starter...a real reliability
boost for these cars.  And, quick and easy access to the batteries was also
critical for the Porsches, like mine, which were raced.  My car is a '56
Cabriolet Carrera.  And, to answer your question, Jim, no, there were no
factory installed relays...but many owners today, (particularly the 6v
crowd; mine is 12v), have installed them, both for reliability and to help
avoid the much more expensive ignition switch rebuilds or replacements for
the "P" cars.
Additionally the wire gauges of the Porsches are significantly heavier than
VW's, heavier even than my '65 T-2, which, until I converted it to 12v,
installed a self-supported starter and a relay, had its share of starting
"idiosyncratic moments."  I still find myself unconsciously looking for
slopes when I park.  Of course, all the 6v originals had much heavier wire
gauges than the 12v vehicles to reduce resistance.
In any case, the relays work for those who may need them, if properly
installed and sealed, (along with the connectors).
And, Keith is very correct that replacement connectors must be properly done
to be any better than what one might remove. Look, the youngest of these
VW's is approaching 40.  We don't hesitate to replace engines and
transmissions for reliability.  Why not have these cars start reliably?
Cleaning contacts and fuse blocks are necessary maintenance items.  But,
occasionally, even this doesn't work to ensure starts on hot days.  Relays
are a fifteen dollar frustration reducer because they work.  But, that
choice is for owners, not for me to make.  Besides, if your car starts, you
don't need one. There are several web sites which describe the proper
methods of relay installs for those who do, Google is your friend here.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
FE Meek