[T3] Relay/Ignition Switch/Solenoid

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 14 18:46:41 PDT 2011

On 14 Mar 2011 at 16:43, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> OTOH, I've never had to do this to any of my cars. (Knock on wood.)
> You're most likely to have trouble if you have to crank the engine a
> lot to get it to start.
>
> So, Jim, are you advocating "Leave well enough alone?"  Unless you have an
> ignition switch failure?

I've toyed with a relay setup to install under the dash, to just take
the load off the ign sw. I should probably consider moving to under
the back seat, but those empty relay sockets in the '71-3 fuse box
just seem so tempting.

The only starter troubles along these lines that I've ever seen have
ended up being neutra safety switch problems in the AT cars. A relay
should help wear on that switch, too, but I still recommend a
freewheeling diode across the relay coil to get the greatest benefit.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org