[T3] list funds and Wolfe family (was Re: Russ Wolfe)

Greg Merritt gregm at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 30 10:57:49 PDT 2011

Everyone,

Our Type 3 list fund has a balance of $275.99 as of the end of 2009.
At the end of 2010, we switched to a new host.  As happens with
hosting, it now has more features/capacity than ever, and the price
keeps going down.  It was over $70/month back in the early 1990's when
we started this, and is now less than $10/month.

I actually liked the new list hosting so much (Dreamhost) that I
started moving my other random personal sites over.  I decided I'd
like to just cover the vwtype3.org hosting as part of that...but what
to do with the $275.99 balance that many of you have contributed to
over the years?

I've had extensive off-line discussions with Jim A., Keith P., and
John J. as an "advisory committee" of sorts.  Rather than let the
funds sit around, we've decided that we should keep $75 of the
listee-contributed money as a "rainy day" fund, and donate $200 to the
Wolfe family.

No one could ever put a price on Russ Wolfe's knowledge, experience,
generosity and kindness, but I think everyone would agree that the
value he added to our collective Type 3 experience is immeasurable.

While we don't take lightly the question of acting on contributors'
behalf, Jim, Keith, John and I are confident that this is an
appropriate thing to do.  Thanks for your understanding and support,
everyone!

-Greg, with Jim, Keith, and John