[T3] Fender Bender

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri May 6 15:01:28 PDT 2011

You certainly shouldn't leave the timing wrong if the vacuum can is hitting
the fan shroud.  I understand the trouble with simply moving the wires to
the 'wrong' terminals is that the timing retardation machined into the cyl 3
cam-lobe on Type 3 distributors to reduce the tendency to over-heating in
that cylinder, will then be on a different cylinder.  It's easy to see if
your distributor has the retardation by checking the timing with a light on
no. 1 and compare it with no. 3.

Is the diatributor you have now fitted the same number as the one replaced?
If not, which is the right one for your engine?

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club