[T3] ? Mystery of the Clacking Valves ?

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Wed May 11 18:14:28 PDT 2011

At 05:34 PM 5/11/2011, Keith wrote:
>with a 1776 you most certainly have a non-stock cam in it, so you
>would also have dual valve springs that require
>steel pushrods, if the originals were aluminum that would explain the bend.

I only have the one from #3 (the bent one) on-hand, but if I'm not
mistaken it feels/looks like anodized aluminum rather than steel. D'oh! :-|

>Secondly, when the installed the new pushrods did they cut them to the exact
>same length as the ones that were in it?  If not that could wreak havoc with
>the valve train geometry and cause quick wear to the guides and seats in an
>extreme case.  With a 1776, you wont be running stock geometry or stock
>length pushrods.

Thanks much for this tip/alert Keith (which completely freaks me out,
btw ;)  I'll inquire first thing in the morning to see if they still
have the other seven original pushrods to compare. If not, at least I
have the bowed one, which could probably be straightened out well
enough to tell if the new rods are a different length.

Dave