[T3] ? Mystery of the Clacking Valves ?

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed May 11 19:15:31 PDT 2011

I wanted to remove the inner springs on my Berg 1679, its running their
engle 110... and I was told no way no how!  They said You MUST have the dual
springs with any cam other than stock.  I sure would like to get them out of
there as they are pounding the seats into the heads slowly... every time I
adjust the valves they have no or little clearance.

If it was a Berg built motor, or a berg kit, and a non stock cam It should
have the dual springs in it, but that will be easy to verify by just
looking.  Single springs can run the aluminum pushrods EXCEPT... as far as I
know there are no cuttable aluminum push rods, so they will be the wrong
length for a non-stock setup like a 1776.  Even changing from stepped to
non-stepped heads or fly cut heads will require the geometry to be
changed... some will shim the rockers but the builders recommend changing
pushrod lengths.

Anyone else running a 110 with stock single springs?  Id love to go that
route if in fact the guys are Berg are full of ****.

Keith

I don't think those statements are exactly true.  I had a 1776cc that I ran
for several years that was completely stock with the exception of the larger
pistons/cylinders and carbs.  You can run an entirely stock valve train and
not all aftermarket cams require dual valve springs.  Case in point being
that my "refreshed" 1776 is running just a Engle 110 cam with single
springs.

To the original poster, it just sounds like either clearances weren't set
right on that valve, maybe the push rod was a just a tad too long compared
to the others, faulty push rod, or any number of other items.  How do the
lifters look where the push rods go?  Any wear there?

Joe P.
'69 Squareback