[T3] ? Mystery of the Clacking Valves ?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat May 14 07:37:29 PDT 2011

In a message dated 5/13/2011 12:00:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

The big  question for me then, is what do modern engines do to their cams
make  them survive? Their must be a solution that we should be able to take

advantage of, even if it means new cam and lifter  technology.

Jim, most of today's modern engines have roller lifters, and cams designed
to use them. This change to rollers basically eliminated the need for the
ZZDP  in the oil. Also, when talking to a GM tech (at the dealer), he said
that by  eliminating the ZZDP, the catalytic converter gets a longer life (the
stuff  inside it). This was the reason they were getting rid of their EOS
(Engine Oil  Supplement), which contains ZZDP. No one is making engines using
"flat  tappet" cams and lifters anymore. They do still carry it, but the
price tripled  (used to be 9.99 a bottle, now it's 29.99 a bottle), and it's
marked "not for  use in newer engines".

I think there are a couple of people working with either roller cams and
lifters , or ceramic lifters for our engines. Jake Raby is one of the few
that I know of, as he's been dabbling in both.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)