[T3] Lack of high beam and turn signals

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat May 14 07:50:00 PDT 2011

In a message dated 5/14/2011 12:46:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dmoller9 at earthlink.net writes:

x the  ground issue first. Bad grounds will cause all kinds of funky
behavior. I  don't have any experience with a 71,  but if the car is wired like
the  Bentley schematic with a single ground point for all the idiot, dash
lights,  the turn signal switch and the various light switches,  a 54 ohm
resistance in the main ground to body could definitely cause most of the  issues.

I've done the following fixing ground issues:

1. Remove  the octopus terminal or whatever the ground termination hardware
is and clean  all the spades and body ground location of all corrosion with
fine steel wool.
2. Clean the ground body location to bare metal with fine sand paper,
steel wool, scotch brite, etc.
3 Reassemble ground termination hardware  and check resistance from a spade
to the body.  If less than 1 ohm, you  are good. If not take the thing
apart again and work on more virgin bare metal  at the ground point.
3. Clean the terminals and check each of the ground  wires individually
terminal to terminal. Be sure to wiggle the wire near each  terminal looking
for changes in resistance. Any momentary change in resistance  needs to be
fixed by replacing the terminal or the whole wire.
4. Reassemble all the wires to the ground and check the resistance from
the head end of the wire to the body. Again 1 ohm or less is what you  want.
5. When you are all done fixing the grounds make sure to seal  the ground
octopus or ground hardware and the body seam to prevent  corrosion.

Its always a nasty job to fix ground  issues.

Dave

Yes, this is very good advice. I too have found grounds to cause funky
things to happen. Also I've found "inactivity" another cause. Remember, these
cars were designed to be driven, not parked. Go thru the examples Dave
listed  above, and also find a couple of screws for the fuse box, as I know it
needs to  be grounded as well. Same applies to the hazard switch. Get ALL of
your grounds  as close to "0"ohms as you can. More than likely, you bumped
the wire off the  center black plug on the fuel gauge cluster (to the fuse
box), which is what  supplies ALL of the 12 volts to the entire cluster.

As for the turn signal switch, you've probably got the column head too
close to the steering wheel for it to work the high beams correctly. Loosen up
the 2 screws (6mm allen wrench), and the clamp at the base of the  column
head, and push it away from the steering wheel. You need a 2 to 3mm  gap
between the steering wheel and the column head (page 31 Brown Bentley). I  hope
this helps.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)