[T3] clacking valves cont'd...:(

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Sun May 15 00:57:49 PDT 2011

I drove ~20 miles and did the valve check dead cold. Readings are not
encouraging:

#1 Exhaust .013, Intake .012
#2 Ex .004  Int. .008
#3 Ex .006  Int. .006
#4 Ex. .004 Int. .006

My current hypothesis, putting everything together as best I can, is
that I am the Pwned by Lack of ZDDP posterboy of 2011. I'm guessing
the cam and lifters (and potentially front cam bearing) are severely
worn...exponentially towards the front of the engine based on the
pattern in the clearance readings. The #1 exhaust adjustment screw is
now completely flush with the locknut. I still can't figure out how
that steel #3 exhaust pushrod bent, but my guess is that the impact
of the force that bent it either screwed the cam, the lifters, the
front cam bearing (which is closest to that pushrod) or all of the
above. Perhaps it was the inverse... worn cam/bearing/lifters bent
the rod somehow? I'm thinking ZDDP lack could be the culprit, since
this engine has been obscenely well maintained and pampered, and to
this day has never skipped a beat.

I'm going to drive it 20-30 miles again and repeat the valve check,
but if the trend continues, I'm going to run out of thread on the #1
ex. valve soon. Hence, I think I'm looking forward to pulling the
engine soon and replacing the cam, lifters, and cam bearings at the
very least. Thoughts? Also, I checked the printed spec sheet from the
build dyno test and under cam it says "TM-10". Does that ring any bells?

Thanks again all,

Dave Y.
68 sqbk