[T3] Saul E. Noid

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue May 17 17:32:43 PDT 2011

Well you pointed out a valuable point, that if the starter brushes aren't
making good contact, the pull in winding on the solenoid wont be grounded
and it wont engage, but if this is the case the lights wont dim in the dash
because no current will be drawn, or little current.  I could see and feel
mine drawing what I felt was enough to engage something anyway but I didn't
even get a click from it.   The braid often rots away too and causes the
same symptoms.

I don't know what causes them to stick, but they really aren't serviceable.
Whenever Ive taken them off they seem nice and free, but when they get good
and hot or cold they seem to bind.  This one had delayed engagement for the
past few thousand miles at all temps, but since it got good and stuck hot,
its been fine since.

Keith

I don't know why I queried your diagnosis, Keith, knowing that you're an ace
electronics guy!   Still, it might have helped someone else on here I guess.

Is it just mechanical wear in the linkage that makes them sticky, or a bad
copper contact pad maybe?   Adjustment possible?

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club