[T3] Idling Oddities...

Ken Main Mail kensue356 at cableone.net
Thu May 19 17:24:42 PDT 2011

Jim,

Working on the 71 T3 Square back 1600 FI auto.  Getting it ready for next
year in Colorado at the T3 gathering.

I am about to put the correct distributor you sent me last year.  When I
look at the inside the distributor you sent me where 2 short springs do
something centrifugal (I think),  one of the springs is stretched.  Can I
use my old distributor spring?  I still have my old one running the engine.
I get perfect start, perfect idle cold or warm.  I notice a lot of black
smoke inside the tailpipe and spitting carbon a black spray. Big thing is I
cannot step down on the gas pedal it seems to sputter and hesitate and
shakes. I barely gently depress the gas pedal and it goes real slow and of
course it does pick up speed.  Step down, more throttle it boggs down, no
power. I need a heads up on where to start to resolve this problem.  Thank
you.  Does being at 5000 feet elevation have anything to do with this?

Kenny Rogers