[T3] turn signal assembly broke. HELP!

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed May 25 09:05:55 PDT 2011

In a message dated 5/25/2011 10:06:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

I doubt  that it's fair to claim that it "came apart." When I sent it
back to you I  warned you that you would need to install it and then
cut the cable tie  that I shipped it with to hold it together. After
that, if you tried to  remove it again it would likely spring apart.

I believe that's what you  did, and that's what it did.

If this was a minor thing I  wouldn't complain, but I've done this job
several times, I've made some  fixtures to help me do it, and it still
takes me several hours to get one  back together successfully. It's
not a simple  job.

Jim helped me when I put mine back together. He suggested tieing it in  a
couple of places, as sometimes you need 3 or 4 hands, but don't have the room
 for them (you're working in a space about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch
wide). I had spent over 3 hours just trying to get it back together,  and had
used a second unit for parts, as mine was missing some (the donor had a  broken
arm). This is not an easy job, as it takes patience, holding your tongue
just right, a couple of bread ties (I used them instead of a zip tie, as they
 are thinner without the paper), and a quiet place with no interruptions.
Mine  works like it's supposed to, and I haven't taken it back out since, as
I know  it'll probably explode into a bunch of little parts all over the
place. :O
These things are ment to be left alone, once installed. If you take it back
 out, and it came apart, then you need to find ALL of the little parts
(including  the ball bearing), so it can be reassembled. Getting that ball
bearing  back in place is probably the hardest part of the job, as it likes to
keep  jumping out.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)