[T3] Rocks in a tin can sound

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 27 15:43:23 PDT 2011

On 27 May 2011 at 8:38, crash 69 wrote:

> Fuel filter is less than a month old.  I haven't check the "sock".  I take
> it the tank has to be empty to check this.  Is there a "simple trick"?

The best test is also the messiest. Pull the hose off the bottom of
the tank and see if you get a disturblingly strong stream of gas out.

Do this quickly and do it outside. No smoking! If the gas just
dribbles out you have a problem. If the amount is alarmingly large,
it's good.

If this is a FI car, remove the hose from the pump instead. You
should still get a strong pencil sized stream out. That checks both
the screen and the filter.

Is this FI or has it been converted to carbs?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org