[T3] ~35K engine teardown... suggestions?

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Tue May 17 17:18:10 PDT 2011

Whether the culprit was no ZDDP or bad initial geometry,
unfortunately the valve clearance (especially #1 exhaust and #3
exhaust) continues to widen rapidly on my 1776. Pending whatever we
can inspect of the cam via the oil sump tomorrow, I'm 99% sure I'll
be having the shop do a teardown to replace the cam and lifters this
week. With that in mind, I'm trying to develop a list of other parts
to replace while they're in there (that is, stuff unrelated to the
cam/lifter issue) to stave off pulling the engine and/or tins for as
long as possible after this is done. Obviously much will be decided
upon inspection, but if anyone can add to this list or make other
recommendations (aside from getting the geometry right, which is
mandatory) I would appreciate it.

-oil cooler seals
-front and rear engine seals
-oil pump (?)
-bearings (?)

It's not that I'm itching to waste money/parts, but considering what
a major pain in the buttocks and wallet this is already going to be,
I'd rather spend the $ now and freshen up the engine as much as
possible rather then be sorry I didn't 5K miles down the road!

Many thanks all,

Dave