[T3] ? Mystery of the Clacking Valves ?

sploogemeister sploogemeister at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 12 21:16:12 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 5/13/11, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> From: Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] ? Mystery of the Clacking Valves ?
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Friday, May 13, 2011, 3:31 AM
> On 12 May 2011 at 20:12,
> sploogemeister wrote:
>
> > Okay Jim, then the lifter may be worn, but wouldn't
> that mean there's
> > a good chance the lobe of the cam may be worn as well,
> since they
> > wear together.
>
> That's what I would expect, but I've never seen a failure
> like this.

I have, it's actually becoming more common with the removal of ZDDP.
A lot of older engines, not just our air coolers, need it. Schneider
Cams and others have done tons of research into this, and the removal
of ZDDP has been determined to be the major contributing factor to cams
& lifters "going flat".

> I keep thinking there must be something else wrong that
> we've not
> thought of, like the head studs pulling out, but more
> likely
> something trivial that has just escaped us all.

If the studs were pulling, wouldn't there be a major compression leak,
especially since it's happening to all of his cylinders? I'm sure the
noise from the leak would be considerably noticeable.