[T3] Question about door handle key set

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 11 08:54:29 PST 2011

On 11 Nov 2011 at 11:29, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/11/2011 9:46:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> On 10  Nov 2011 at 18:49, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Yes, it's removable.  However, you'll need a t-3 only outside door
> handle.
>
> I thought  the handle itself was the same as on a Beetle? The little
> release pin on  the end of the lock cylinder, however, is Type 3
> specific.

> If I remember right, the inside part of the handle (the working parts), are
>  longer, and deeper set. The beetle handle will fit the door, but it won't
> operate the mechanism. This makes it a T-3 only part. I think a big part of
> it,  is due to the thickness of our doors, versus the bug door.

I think you're describing the little pin that reaches in from the
lock cylinder to engage the locking mechanism in the door. IIRC, that
pin is shorter for the Beetle door (and may be the same for L & R)
while the Type 3 pin is longer and is "handed," requiring different
parts for L & R. And yes, this is because the Type 3 door is thicker.

I think the handle itself, with only the trigger, is the same, but I
can't prove this because it looks like VW never sold that part by
itself: It isn't called out separately in the microfilm. Seems odd,
because all the other parts are separately available.

Nevertheless, the handles I have all came from Type 3s.  ;-)

Just a '68 handle, without lock cylinder, would be cheap.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org