[T3] air volume control for dual carbs

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 21 17:16:20 PST 2011

> i bought a NOS solex pdsit 32 carb
> for my notch and the air volume control is a screw, as
> opposed to my original carb  that has a circular knob on
> the outside for adjusting, is about 2 inches long and
> pointed on the other end. can i swap them or leave it as is.
> i imagine it would be very difficult to find the screw once
> it is on the engine. thanks kk

I can never remember which is which, but there are two screws for adjusting each of the dual carbs. One uses a common screwdriver for which I use a stubby screwdriver, and the other is a larger knob that is intended to use one's fingers.

While at times I have cursed the screw-topped one, once I got used to it's location and having the stubby in my hand, I can find them rather easily.

At one time I was able to adjust them both with my fingers, but either my grip has lessened due to time, or the threads have gotten tighter over time, or both. When I rebuild a spare set of carbs, I will contemplate using a different, more fingerable screw instead.

If I had the option, I'd opt for the ones that a finger can adjust. The downside is that if you forget which one you need to adjust and mess with the wrong one, you basically have to start all over again with the adjusting.

Not really an option for T3's, but a very good local engine builder and racer recommends cutting access panel hatches in the fender to access the carb adjustments. Easy enough on bugs however. I can't see how that would work on T3's unless each side had two holes cut!

Jeff '67 Sqbk with stock dual 32 pdsit carbs