[T3] Clutch question

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Nov 27 18:09:44 PST 2011

In a message dated 11/26/2011 12:28:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimmyandcher at yahoo.com writes:

Forgive  me for asking a question about a type I on here, but you guys
are a  wealth of knowledge, and nobody else has been able to answer
this  question: a friend of mine just replaced the clutch in his '70
Beetle. Now that it's back together with the motor in, the clutch
cable is 2-3" too short to reach the arm. How is this possible? One
thing that sounds fishy to me is that he says he can rotate the
clutch pedal all the way BACKWARD onto the floor TOWARD the driver
seat. Isn't there something within the pedal assembly that should
absolutely prevent this? Is there something screwed up in the pedal
assembly?
Any help is greatly appreciated, this is his  first experience with
an aircooled VW, so he needs all the help he  can get.

It sounds like he got a late clutch, which might be a slightly  different
style than his original. Part of this, is because most parts  suppliers,
supply 1 style clutch, that with a minor mod can be used in multiple
applications.

As for the cable being short, did he move the arm forward, taking up the
slack inside the bellhousing?  I'm only asking, because that needs to  happen
(probably the part of his cable being short).

As for the pedal falling backward toward the floor, it sounds like the
brake pedal stop plate has moved, and it's not stopping the clutch pedal. He
might have to reinforce the floor under the pedal assembly, as that bolt area
 gets weak over the years (his wouldn't be the first to break there).
I hope this helps.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)