[T3] repair manual for Brazilian four-door 1600 TL 4?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 17:08:34 PST 2011

The Brazilian 1600TL was a Fastback shape, but a quite different front end.
The 3-box saloon with 4 doors was originally designed to replace the Beetle,
but as an entry level car, its 1200cc engine wasn't adequate.  Quite a
number were made in Brazil however and were popular as Taxis.  The later
versions had a front end similar to a Type 4.

The Fastback types were quite sporty-looking in their way.

Some photos here:-
http://www.restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14715&highlight=&sid=0dcb0b2d
53772f2bc2426e4580a987dc

Search on Images on Google with VW1600TL Brazil and there are quite a few
found (some are just 'our' Type 3s).

I believe the cars were something of a hybrid between Type 1 and Type 3, so
I expect that a manual for each model would cover most things.  No doubt
there are manuals, but almost certainly they would be in Portugese, not
English.

Among the later Brazilian VWs, they made a Gol, which was a Mk 1 Golf
(Rabbit) with a front mounted air-cooled engine!  I saw one in England maybe
20 years ago - astonishing!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club