[T3] Clutch question

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 11:28:41 PST 2011

Forgive me for asking a question about a type I on here, but you guys
are a wealth of knowledge, and nobody else has been able to answer
this question: a friend of mine just replaced the clutch in his '70
Beetle. Now that it's back together with the motor in, the clutch
cable is 2-3" too short to reach the arm. How is this possible? One
thing that sounds fishy to me is that he says he can rotate the
clutch pedal all the way BACKWARD onto the floor TOWARD the driver
seat. Isn't there something within the pedal assembly that should
absolutely prevent this? Is there something screwed up in the pedal
assembly?
   Any help is greatly appreciated, this is his first experience with
an aircooled VW, so he needs all the help he can get.
   Thanks,
    Jimmy