[T3] System Voltage and FI

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 15:53:40 PDT 2011

In a message dated 10/8/2011 9:59:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
topnotch at nycap.rr.com writes:

System  voltage was around 13 and it used to be 14... but its been dragging
below 13  lately so it was time for a regulator.  I found that the output
line on  the old Bosch regulator was FRIED at the lug, probably due to some
solder I  left on it when I jumped out the regulator for the T4 engine and
the solder  squished out making the connection loose with time.  I also found
the  diode under the regulator  open.

So I swapped in another unit I  checked out, that made things alot better
but it died a few miles later,  probably that diode opening up also.

When Jim as told us all how  important system voltage is for the D jet BOY
is he right!I finally put one of  the new electronic units on it as I needed
to get down to Hershey that day,  NOW I have a full 14V on the highway and
the hesitation off the line is  gone.  Gone also is the bad idle when the
lights are on.  It hasnt  run this nice since I put this engine back on, and
it looks like the gas  milage is back as well, although the trip down to
RIchmond was VERY windy on  the first leg of the trip thru NY and massive
traffic backups that are always  a problem around DC ruined what looked to be a
very good gas mileage on the  second leg of the trip too.

What a difference a volt  makes!

Yeah, I went thru this off and on for over a year until Jim and I talked at
 the 2010 Invasion, about charging systems. We were actually discussing the
 difference between carbed and FI requirements at the time, but it got me
to  thinking about my FI system. My 71 would start out at 14.2 volts, and
within 3 miles, the voltage would drop to 13.7, and after 5 miles it would be
13.4. Too low for the FI system, which WAS causing my driveability issue.
Jim hooked me up with one of his VR's, and it's been good to go since. A
nice  solid 14.7 volts. Like Jim says, the FI really needs 14.1 to 14.5 volts
to run  correctly, and I believe it. Thanks again Jim. : )

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)