[T3] Wiring?!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 13 06:01:26 PDT 2011

John,

I've been reorganizing, cleaning up, and rearranging the room my
computer is in, and for a few days I couldn't find my microfilm pages
or my Bentley manual. I just found both of them, so maybe now I can
give specific help with your questions.

On 10 Oct 2011 at 7:30, John L. Morgan IV wrote:

> This is my first time looking at a wiring diagram.
> What does a "coil feed" mean?

"Coil feed" would usually mean a wire that feeds 12 V to the coil
when the key is in the ON or START position.

> So, if the wire in my photos was plugged into the bottom
> of FUSE 5 before I pulled the radio where would that red (power) wire go to
> on the motor itself?

On a '70, it looks like the wiper power would come from fuse 8
(counting L to R) but I'm guessing you counted R to L and came up
with "5." The power to the wiper motor should be a black wire that
goes from the top of fuse 7 to terminal 30 on the wiper switch. From
the wiper switch, there should be a bundle of 4 wires that run in a
common black jacket to the wiper motor. I doubt if you disconnected
any of those, unless that cable got pulled on and accidentally
disconnected at the switch end. They are soldered at the motor end.

There is also a ground connection at the motor end, but I don't
remember what that looks like. The diagram shows it as a brown wire,
which is probably short. I don't think it runs all the way back to
the gauge cluster area.

> Or is it that the motor doesnt have a wire to it from the fuse panel,
> and this is just some random, old radio wire.

That's probably true.

The first thing to check would be whether you actually have voltage
at both ends of fuse 7 when the key is on.

Finally, I can see a black plastic relay mounted under the dash near
the fuse box. That's not OE, so it's possible that someone has added
that in the wiper circuit. If that's the case, then there's no way to
know what's going on now without being there.

Let us know what you find.

Did you find the cause of your "knocking sound" when stopping?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org