[T3] Valve Covers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 06:53:48 PDT 2011

Some people put sealer on the rocker cover side, never the head.

Personally, I use a fresh rocker cover gasket - they always seem to be
crushed a bit.  I wipe a bit of oil on the faces of the gasket.  When
positioning it I put the upper part into the cap, then position the bottom
edge on first and move the cover around to get the gasket into the corners,
then lift up the clips and lever them into position.

If you have new clips, they may not be as tight as they should be.

The gaskets (cork and neoprene type, not the pure cork crumbs) will swell
out again in very hot water, and then they dry for next time.  At one time
they were cheap enough to change each time, but the neoprene-cork crumb type
are meant to be reuseable.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club