[T3] Undervoat question

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 13:24:54 PDT 2011

In a message dated 10/30/2011 1:06:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
djsanderson at telus.net writes:

Hi Bob  and Keith

Thanks for the comments - even though it seems that I cannot  spell
undercoat. I have stripped all the undercoat away and was  planning on
first epoxy primer and then the single stage paint that  they mixed for
me. That's the paint I used for al the underside of  the shell itself.
I had not thought of using the base-clear  combination. Bob, do you
think the single stage would be enough or  do you prefer, would you
recommend, going to the base-clear  combination?

Dave

Dave, look at the manufacturers spec sheet, and see what it says about
clear coating your single stage. On my T-34, I used Concept, and had to wait 4
hours before I could add a clear coat over it. This is what PPG recommends
for a bonding time (for the clear I was using), to allow both to grab to
each  other. Some paints allow you to add some clear to your final coat of
single  stage color too. You just have to check the spec sheet. I actually like
adding a  separate coat of clear though, treating the single stage as a
base coat.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)