[T3] Valve. Covers..

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 16:28:54 PDT 2011

In over 40 years of doing rocker cover gaskets on my air-cooled VWs, I've
had just one leak, and that was a thin all cork one on a '61 Bug engine that
had the funny extra shape on the top, and that's the bit that went inside.
Using a gasket that isn't already crushed, either new or recovered with
boiling water, works every time.

If it doesn't, something's distorted, damaged or not clamping properly.

I guess you can modify rocker covers, glue gaskets in place and do a host of
other things, but the VW engineers don't seem to have felt the need.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club