[T3] System Voltage and FI

topnotch at nycap.rr.com topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Oct 8 18:59:01 PDT 2011

Well... I have a new regulator!  since putting the old engine back in the 71 just before the last invasion its run pretty well, but theres been a slight hesitation off the line at the low end and lately I noticed that when I pull the lights on the idle gets dragged down.  Gas mileage has also been a little low lately and making the mixture leaner with the pressure sensor helped but not completely.

System voltage was around 13 and it used to be 14... but its been dragging below 13 lately so it was time for a regulator.  I found that the output line on the old Bosch regulator was FRIED at the lug, probably due to some solder I left on it when I jumped out the regulator for the T4 engine and the solder squished out making the connection loose with time.  I also found the diode under the regulator  open.

So I swapped in another unit I checked out, that made things alot better but it died a few miles later, probably that diode opening up also.

When Jim as told us all how important system voltage is for the D jet BOY is he right!I finally put one of the new electronic units on it as I needed to get down to Hershey that day, NOW I have a full 14V on the highway and the hesitation off the line is gone.  Gone also is the bad idle when the lights are on.  It hasnt run this nice since I put this engine back on, and it looks like the gas milage is back as well, although the trip down to RIchmond was VERY windy on the first leg of the trip thru NY and massive traffic backups that are always a problem around DC ruined what looked to be a very good gas mileage on the second leg of the trip too.

What a difference a volt makes!

BTW Jim, that battery is about to go into a long winters slumber with a trickle charger on it in a month or so, so hopefully if there is a problem it will recover nicely by spring.