[T3] thermostat issue

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:29:06 PDT 2011

I am not sure how long this has been going on, but I suspect not very long.
 My flaps don't seem to be moving.  This was all properly adjusted some time
ago with a new thermostat and I have all of the linkage, fortunately.

I made a mark on the shaft so I could tell if it was turning or not.  Not a
cut on the end like some of you do because I haven't had the engine out
before.  But anyway, this mark showed that the rod was turning.

My Fastback will sometimes idle-hunt for about 1 minute as I leave the
neighborhood on a cool morning.  Runs fine when you press the accelerator,
but at a stop sign it will surge up and down.  Car runs great when warm.
 But today, the hunting continued for much longer than it usually does.  It
eventually stopped but I was thinking about this problem while driving and I
wondered if the thermostat was working.  I got to work which is only 3-4
miles away and looked at the mark.  I can't remember if the position of the
mark meant "open" or "closed" but came back an hour later to inspect and the
thermostat was retracted, yet the mark didn't move.  So, I am looking at the
flaps being either open or closed and I can't remember like I said, what the
mark meant (stupid move, I know).

Is the most likely scenario here that the adjustment nut that holds the
throttle flap rod has loosened ?  I will have to look into this this
weekend.  I think I have the adjustment procedure saved somewhere so I will
review that.  I hope the spring isn't broken.  I assume anything beyond this
nut coming loose would require dropping the engine to remove tin and see
what is going on?  I adjusted it all before by blinding working in the
access hole when you remove the "goggle" piece.

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback