[T3] Noisy Front End

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:04:19 PDT 2011

Hi,
I have the following symptoms: 1) Brake Judder as I apply the Brakes. It's a
band of judder that sometimes ends with a squeal as my foot travels through
the pedal. 2) must pump the pedal a second time to get the car to stop.
First pedal push is soft. 3) Vibrating steering wheel at speed. 4) Noisy
creaky front end when driving over bumpy roads.

Inspection reveals: 1) play/rock in front wheels at 9/3 position, even more
pronounced at 12/6 position. 2) some minor wetness on the outside of the
front rubber brake hoses. 3) Ball Joints look okay but old. Right lower one
has a crack in the rubber. 4) Front Shocks are 10 year old GR-2's. 5)
Calipers, pads and bearings replaced last year. 6) Master Cylinder and
metal/rubber lines replaced 10 years ago. 7) No fluid getting to the back
wheels. 8) Steering Stabilizing and rubber steering column disc original to
car and toasted. 9) Tie Rods original to car (c.1970) appear tight but also
very old. 10) Front end has been greased from time to time and shows fresh
grease at the seams.

Advice: What to replace? So far I'm thinking Steering Stabilizer and ball
joints. Does the rocking/play in the front wheels mean the front bearings
need replacement again? How long should the shocks last? they are 10 years
old. Ball Joints? How to eliminate the creaking ?

thanks,

Chris Sheridan
1970 Fastback automatic