[T3] car died on way home

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 07:58:52 PDT 2012

The ECU completes the circuit through the fuel pump relay coil, which keeps
the contacts together and sends power to the pump.  If it's a problem in the
relay itself, there should still be a voltage across that coil.  If the
earth return provided through the ECU is no longer there, it would suggest
there is a problem with the ECU or that its power relay (under the rear seat
in a Fastback) is dropping out.

There could be a bad connection in the either relay that fails after a
while.  You could try cleaning the contacts in the relay and the
connections.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club