[T3] Window rubber

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 20:37:55 PDT 2012

After attempting to replace my window seals last year for the first time, I thought I'd add a couple things.  The most trouble I think I had was getting the outer trim piece off and back on without damaging it.  It's very fragile and will bend and crease very easily if it twists or you're less than gentle with it.

It sounds like Bob's experience with modifying the T1 outer scraper onto the original trim is better than my trying the reproduction Brazilian ones with rubber and trim all in one.  In the end, after struggling to get it to fit right (and actually messing it up in haste and rain...), I found that the scraper left a 1/8" gap between the window and rubber.  I pulled it all back out again and upon closer inspection found that the rubber piece was actually considerably thinner than the original.  So, I wound up putting the old one back in and it's been doing OK (although not quite as well as before...)

The other thing I had some trouble with was removing the long (goes up side and across top of door) felt channel.  Since I was replacing mine, it didn't matter if it got bungled but getting it loose and slid out of the long edge of the door (where it latches) was tricky.  All in all, if it's your first time, I'd reserve a day's worth of time for it and make sure you've got a garage or fair weather.

-Jeremy
SF, CA'71 Squareback, MT, FI