[T3] 69 Turn Signal Switch/Cancel Ring

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Apr 12 05:01:35 PDT 2012

On 11 Apr 2012 at 22:53, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> I'm having a problem figuring out the ground wiring for the horn in my
> 69 column.  I've got it worked out except for the cancel ring portion.
> How does the outer brass ring from the cancel ring connect for current
> flow?  I know some of the levers have built-in wipers for the ring, but
> I'm pretty sure I have the right lever assembly.  Here's a picture of
> what I'm referring to.
>
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/915307.jpg

Your '69 does not use that cancel ring with the brass contact. That
contact is only used on the '71-on cars.

On the '69, the current comes in to the horn, which is "hot", and the
wire from the horn runs to the steering shaft bearing, which is
insulated from the steering column, where it makes the shaft "hot". A
ground wire runs up the inside of the steering shaft where the horn
button makes the connection between that ground wire and the steering
shaft to complete the connection.

This is one of the most complicated and convoluted circuits in the
car, and the most commonly misunderstood, but it's a good system that
has the advantage that it does not have that sliding contact that
wears out and damages the TS switch.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org