[T3] Rust!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Apr 21 13:43:05 PDT 2012

On 21 Apr 2012 at 7:20, Art Sterrett wrote:

> It appears that when these cars were built that they filled that area
> with foam which makes it about impossible to cut and weld new metal
> into that area.  I would like to hear from any of you who have had
> experience with this problem and what you've done to slow the rust
> down or stop it.

I don't know why VW put that foam there, but for long term
survivability, you're correct. It was a mistake. You can remove it by
reaching up from the trunk area. It's a hard job, but it needs to be
done.

If you have to replace significant metal there, the job would
probably be easier if you did it after removing the overlaying metal.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org