[T3] Almost Running

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Apr 22 05:52:12 PDT 2012

In a message dated 4/21/2012 7:06:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rcrogers1 at peoplepc.com writes:

Adriel,  I just took a look at your Squareback.  While I admire you
diligence in  attempting to restore this car, I think you might be better off
selling it as  a parts car.  I know that is discouraging (not knowing what you
paid for  it) but it appears to have substantial rust and sheet metal problems
that are  difficult to remedy.  You may elect to keep the car and practice
your  restoration skills, but expect to spend a considerable amount of time
(two or  more years?) and money just getting it in presentable condition.
Consider: Body work, engine work, paint prep, paint, tools and materials and
a  suitable place to perform all of this work.  It’s a shame to loose a
car,  but sometimes it is inevitable. If it were mine, I would pull the engine
(and  perhaps the transmission) and separately advertise the sell of the
engine and  good body parts.

Don’t be discouraged! There are other Type 3s  available that you can
acquire.

His Squareback looks a lot better than my old 71 Notch when I got  it, or
my son's Roadster (the "Pile of Bleached Bones" as Keith calls it) when  I/we
started on it (them). I've seen worse rebuilt. It just takes time, money,
patience, and a desire to fix it. Granted you do need some specialized
equipment, but having a place to do the work is more important, as you can take
the car apart, and not be in a hurry to get it back together. And since
it's not  a daily driver, that makes doing a long term repair easier. I do
understand his  desire to drive it, but the reality is that it really needs more
repair work  first (in my book, as you don't want to sacrifice structural
safety).

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)