[T3] Ignition switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Apr 28 22:45:56 PDT 2012

On 28 Apr 2012 at 19:19, Roy Pitchlynn wrote:

> I am having trouble trying to figure out the correct ignition switch I
> need for a 64 Squareback. Can anyone provide a part number?

The microfilm shows 311 905 851A used up thru '66. That covers all
the 6 V years. It's the whole switch with lock cylinder and keys. It
doesn't appear that it breaks down into separate parts like the later
ones do. That's going to be a hard/impossible part to find. It's
probably worth trying to fix the one you have.

I think ISP has a replacement that they have made to use later parts
and fit in the earlier cars. It's very expensive, but I suspect it
works well. The only problem might be that the later 12 V parts were
made to handle half the current, and might not last long under 6 V
use. If you've converted to a 12 V system, that would not be a
problem.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org